John 12:44 KJV Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me. 45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me. 46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. 49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
These are the last words Jesus speaks to the crowd. From here Jesus teaches His disciples in private. He has explained in a very short time He will be arrested, beaten, and crucified til dead. Having taught and preached in nursing homes for years, people know they are dying and at that point they say what is the heaviest in their heart. For most of them it is to communicate their love to others. Jesus knows He is but days away from death (John 12:27-36). This is His last plea. What was heavy on Jesus heart?
Jesus cries out loudly and with great urgency to the crowd, you believe in Me, you believe in the One Who sent Me. Those Who hear My words but do not believe My words are under judgment already (John 3:18-21, John 12:48).
As believers we believe the words Jesus spoke which include:
- Jesus said He spoke according to the authority of the heavenly Father
- The heavenly Father sent Jesus with a command of what He is to say and speak
- Jesus knows the heavenly Father’s commands are “everlasting life”
- Jesus spoke exactly what the heavenly Father told Him to say
In other words, Jesus is God. God the Father and Jesus the Son are One. Only Jesus knows the Father and has been with the Father. This is what we as believers accept as the truth.
As believers we are ambassadors of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20). We are also soldiers of Christ (2 Timothy 2). We, unafraid, are to cry out with the same urgency as Jesus to the condemned. We are to speak the same message Jesus spoke? But we will only tell others who we truly believe Jesus to be. This world is a dark place and getting darker. Do you trust Jesus is the light of the world and that He is living in you which makes you a representative of His light.
- Do you believe everyone who does not have faith in the name of the Son of God is condemned already to eternal misery?
- Do you believe Jesus is the Word, the Son of God, God in flesh and yet was fully man?
These are but a few questions to be ask and answered.
- How can you represent Someone you do not truly know?
- How will you stand in your faith if you do not completely have trust and have confidence in the One you will be ask to renounce?
You do not prepare for battle the day of the battle. Instead you heed God’s warning that the believers life is one long battle. I encourage you to grow in knowing the true living God and His Son, Jesus (John 17:3). Then you will set your heart on heaven and speak confidently the commands of God, spoken through the Son, God in flesh.